Thursday 14 April 2016

Ivory Coast 1936-1944 - Definitives

Between 1936 and 1944 Ivory Coast issued a large set of 41 definitives comprising 4 different designs. One of the designs, used for 15 of the stamps, was engraved by Albert Decaris. It's possible he also designed the image, but I'm not sure yet. This was the third design Decaris engraved and one can see the burgeoning of a great artistic talent.

The image Decaris designed depicts a coastal scene. This design was issued over five printings between 1936 and 1944. And 8 different colours were used. I recently purchased a set of the Decaris design, but I discovered the set is missing 3 values unfortunately. I guess I'll have to keep hunting for the 3 missing values. Nevertheless. the 12 stamps I received are absolutely fantastic. They are so nice, I decided to show them all here.

***

In 1936 six values were issued.

Red Brown

Dark Violet

90c carmine rose (stamp not available yet)

Dark Green

Copper Red

1f 50c ultramarine (image not available yet)

***

Two values were issued in 1938.

Black Brown

Carmine Rose

***

One value was issued in 1939.

Dark Green

***

Four values were issued in 1940.

Carmine Rose

Red Brown

Ultramarine

Black Brown

***

One value was issued in 1944.

Greenish Black

Until next time...

Stay Decaris Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment